When I wrote an article about fashion startups more than a year ago, I predicted that 2015 would be their year. I was right. And I believe this trend will continue. Fashion start-ups are in fashion, which is good. Now we need to wait for them to mature and for the fashion industry to get used to using them.
The market today in figures
- 5,103 – the number of businesses active in the Fashion category on the Angel List
- 1,007 – the number of Angel List companies with a ‘fashion startup’ tag
- 8 – the number of businesses with a ‘fashion vc firm’ tag
- 15 – the number of entries with a ‘fashion incubator’ tag
- a query for investors in the fashion industry returns 1,070 investors (Angel List), retail to 722 (potentially, mostly these are the same people)
Other fashion-startups facts (source Angel List, printscreen):
Companies, Investors, Followers, Jobs
2015 technology conferences – WebSummit and WolvesSummit – featured panels devoted to fashion (I was a panellist at the WolvesSummit, read here why it’s worth taking part in such events)
WGSN Futures Awards (previously Global Fashion Awards) in 2016 featured a category called ‘the best fashion startup’
Anna Wintour and the Metropolitan Museum are planning a geek 2016 Met Gala under the title of Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology, inspired by new technology.
How do these data relate to 2015?
You may also like
22 Marfashion startups
When I wrote an article about fashion startups more than a year ago, I predicted ...
18 Febfashion startups
I decided to organize GGC Fash&Tech concerning fashion startups for two reasons. I wanted ...
12 Octfashion startups
Instagram is a social media platform. Launched 5 years ago, it allows sharing of photos ...